Dr. Kalyan Sankar Sengupta
Dr. Kalyan Sankar Sengupta
Dr Sengupta is a senior professor in Business Analytics and Research. He obtained his undergraduate and Postgraduate degrees in Engineering from Warwick University, UK. A number of PhD scholars have successfully obtained Doctoral degrees under his supervision. At present, he has six scholars under him. Primarily, he taught at the IISWBM, the Business School of Calcutta University for a long time. He has different exposure in industrial consultancy, MDP and teaching at other reputed institutes.
PhD in Business Management (Decision Support System), Calcutta University, India,
M.Sc. in Engineering by Thesis, Warwick University, UK.
B.Sc.(Hons) in Engineering (Electrical and Electronics) with First Class, Warwick University, UK.
Data Pre-processing and Visualization with Tableau, Business Modeling with R, Marketing Analytics with large data, SAS Business Analytics, Advanced Statistical Models for Predictive Marketing, Business Research Methods with SPSS and AMOS, Social Media Data Analytics for Business and Marketing.
Research Interest / Consulting Area:
Current Research interests are
- Development of Service Excellence Index for Indian Services Organizations (Member of a research team headed by Prof. A. Parasuraman, University of Miami)
- Text and visual analytics – Classification of NSW (Bayesian, Expectation Maximization), Hand writing recognition in processing Railway Reservation, Market Research of Smart Phones using Web Reviews, Contextual Texts (Guided PhD Scholars)
- Knowledge Management Success and Leadership style in Telecom and IT sectors (Guided PhD Scholars)
Interesting Consulting Exposures in
Optimal Location of LPG Filling Plants in India, for IOL., Expansion Strategy of BEST, Bombay (World Bank Project)., Socio-economic assessment of project displaced persons at Farakka, NTPC (World Bank Project)., Training Need of West Bengal Police, Govt. of West Bengal., Integrated LP based Production Planning for Five Factories of Exide Ltd., Socioeconomic Assessment of Minority community in West Bengal, Govt. of West Bengal., Electricity usage malpractices by domestic and commercial subscribers of Kolkata, WBSEB., Marketing Research and Strategy of Bakery Products, Switz Foods Ltd., Marketing and Distribution Strategy of Particle Boards, Bhutan Boards Ltd., MIS Development for Hooghly Dock and Port, WB., Reduction of Machine Tools Stores Capital Costs at Open Cast Coal Mines, Coal India Ltd.
Academic Work experience:
- Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management, Calcutta (MBA Programme affiliated to the Calcutta University), Lecturer, Assistant Professor, Full Professor and Head of Computer.
- ICFAI Business School (ICFAI University) as Full- time Faculty (Professor Grade)
- IMT, Ghaziabad, Adjunct Professor. (Teaching in areas of Business Research Analytics and Digital Marketing).
- IFIM B School Bangalore, Adjunct Professor. (Teaching in areas of BI, Data Visualization and Descriptive Analytics).
Also teaches/taught at
IIM(Ranchi) both PGDM and FPM levels, IIFT, IMI, IIT(Kgp).
MDP and FDP Programs conducted for (selected list)
British High Commission, Kolkata, DRDO, Chandipur, Asiatic Society, BHEL, WB State Electricity Board, NASSCOMM Kolkata, AirTel, SPSS South Asia, West Bengal State University, Coal India, Agricultural Department of West Bengal Government, State Bank of India, Rebeca Software, Tata Steel, Bokaro Steel and many others.
Selected List of Publications :
- Factors Affecting Customers’ Accommodation Satisfaction and Service Quality in the Hotel Industry of Rural West Bengal, Kalyan Sengupta, Udit Chawla, LBS Journal of Management & Research , Vol 15, Issue 1, 2017
- Study on Samsung Galaxy S3, Subhasis Dasgupta, Kalyan Sengupta, Paradigm (Sage Publications) ISSN 0971-8907, May 3, 2016.
- A High Performance Semi-Supervised Learning technique for Non-Standard Word Classification in Bengali News Corpus- ChandanKundu, Rajib Kumar Das, Kalyan Sengupta, Journal of Intelligent Computing, Volume 6 Number 3 September 2015,
- Consumer Reviews for Market Structure Analysis: A Text Mining Approach, Dassgupta Subhasis, Sengupta Kalyan, LBS Journal of Management & Research Year : 2015, Volume : 13, Issue : 1, ISSN-0972-8031
- Structural Equation Modelling of Determinants of Customer Satisfaction of Mobile Network Providers: Case of Kolkata, India, Co-authored by ShibashishChakraborty, IIMB Management Review, December 2014 (Elsevier).
- Do apparel store formats matter to Indian shoppers?RituparnaBasu , Kalyan K. Guin , Kalyan Sengupta, (2014) International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management (Emerald), Vol. 42 Iss: 8, (2014) ISSN: 0959-0552
- An exploratory study on determinants of customer satisfaction of leading mobile network providers – case of Kolkata, India, Co-authored by ShibashishChakraborty, Journal of Advances in Management Research (Emerald), Volume 10, Issue 2, 2013, ISSN 0972-7981
- Implementation of Context Window and Context Identification Array for Identification and Interpretation of Non Standard Word in Bengali News Corpus-ChandanKundu, Rajib Kumar Das, Kalyan Sengupta, International Journal of Computational Linguistics Research, Volume 6, Issue 4, Dec 2013. ISSN 2180-1266
- Format Perception of Indian Apparel Shoppers: Case of Single and Multi-brand Stores,with K KGuin and RituparnaBasu (VGSOM), IUP Journal of Marketing Management, Vol XI, No 3, August 2012. ISSN 0972-6845
- Customer Perception of Single Brand and Multi-brand Retail Formats : An Empirical Evidence in India, with RituparnaBasu, Paper # A8388 for 8th AIMS International Conference in Management, IIM, Ahmedabad, Jan 1-4, 2011.