Prof Asit K Barma
Prof Asit K Barma
Director - Marketing
An original thinker, a champion of exponential technology and a traditional and digital marketing professional
with 32 years of academic and industry experience, Prof. Asit helped industries reap the benefit of digital
technology to create digital commerce, superior customer experiences and stakeholder engagements and build
compelling brands across various industry domains like Manufacturing and Automotive, Retail, E-commerce, FMCG,
HLS, BFIS. An IIT-Madras and IIM-Ahmedabad alumnus, Asit has architected the making of several successful corporate
brands and received recognitions from many global industry analysts.
At IFIM business school, he is a Professor in marketing area. Besides teaching PGDM and Executive students, Prof Asit leads two important initiatives. He isworking with the Guru of Services Marketing, Dr. A Prasuraman of University of Miami to develop India’s first Index of Service Excellence in India (ISEI) on the similar line as the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) or Service Excellence Index in Singapore (SEISg). Besides this, he is architecting IFIM learning platform in gen next exponential technology area.
Before joining IFIM, he was a Professor in Marketing area and Domain Chair, Digital Marketing and Customer Insights at IMT Ghaziabad, a premier B-school in the country, since January 02, 2017. He is one of the early proponent of the concept of context marketing and introduced this subject at IMT Ghaziabad. He also championed the IMT Ghaziabad-UpGrad partnership to introduce a one year online Post Graduate Certification Program in Sales and Digital Marketing. He set up a Real Time Contextual Marketing lab at IMT Ghaziabad besides introducing a contextual marketing framework that became a major differentiator for the institute in Digital Marketing space.
Prior to this, during his corporate stint, he was the Vice President -Marketing and Head of Digital Marketing practice at ValueLabs, Hyderabad; Head of Strategy and Marketing at Defiance Technologies Ltd (now Hinduja Tech Ltd), Chennai; Vice President-Marketing at Satyam Computer Services Ltd (now Tech Mahindra), Chennai; General Manager- Marketing at Kumaran Systems, Chennai; Head- Corporate Marketing at CMC Ltd (now TCS). He played senior leadership roles across diverse functions like Sales; Strategy and Marketing; International Business Development; Product Marketing; PR; Communication and Brand Building; Investor and Analysts Relations. Besides brand elevation, He steered marketing function to be a strong business enabler, having activated several integrated marketing campaigns and account based marketing strategy generating significant leads and client acquisitions.
On the board of multiple national and international industry bodies, he effectively built and sustained strong relationships with stakeholders in varied business ecosystems comprising customers, industry associations, analysts, investors, media, academia, government and consulates of several countries across the world. He has also been instrumental in guiding CII, FICCI-Tamil Nadu State Council, NASSCOM and the Society of Automotive Engineers in preparing several key concept notes and policy recommendations. He loves new ideas and have spoken at many national / international symposiums and premier institutes in the country.
- Ph.D(thesis submitted): University of Madras from the Department of Management Studies | Title:Study of impact of open source CRM on customer retention
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management from Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (1984-86)
- B Tech in Electrical(Electronics) Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (1979-84)
- 10+2 in Science with National Scholarship from West Bengal Board of HS Education (1979)
- Certified in Global Business Leadership from Harvard & U21 University
- Certified in Business Analytics by Dun and Bradstreet
- Advanced Certification programs conducted by Ivey Business School, Canada; Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad; the Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi; XLRI Jamshedpur; Public Relations Society of India, Delhi
Academic workshops attended:
- Case Writing and Teaching Workshop conducted by IVEY Business School in September, 2017
- Workshop on Digital Technology by Prof Venkat VenkatramanConducted by IMT Ghaziabad in June , 2018
Seminars / Talks
Spoke at several national and international seminars in different capacities.
- Editor- Mobility Engineering, a joint quarterly publication of SAE International and SAE India(2012-17).
- Chairman- Publications Board,Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE is the Society of Automotive Engineers, the leading industry body setting standards for automotive and aerospace industry), India (2012-16).
Conference Committees and Organising Responsibilities:
- Chairman- Media and Communication, FISITA 2018 (FISITA is the International Federation of Automotive Engineering Societies).
- Former Convener – Manufacturing, Aerospace and Defense panels, FICCI Tamil Nadu State Council.
- Permanent Invitee Member – Industry Sub Committee of Manufacturing Competitiveness Council of the Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Former Charter Member – TiE Chennai.
- Former Chairman – SAE India Southern Section (2009-2011) and Former Vice Chairman, SAE India Southern Section (2007-09).
- Vice Chairman of Organizing Committee for International Mobility Conference 2009 and Advisor to the National Conference on Automotive Infotronics 2010 conducted by SAE India and SAE International.
- Former Member, Managing Committee, Madras Management Association (2006-08)- India’s largest local management professionals’ body .
- Vice President, IIT Madras Alumni Association, Chennai Chapter (2006-09).
- Member, Executive Committee, IIM Ahmedabad Alumni Association, Chennai chapter (2007-11).
- Former Member – Advisory Board, Centre for Technology Development and Transfer, Anna University.
- Curated several programs like NASSCOM Surge 2012, CII conference on Auto R&D, SAE Students conclave, Several FICCI conventions by Tamil Nadu State Council, India Innovation Growth Program by Department of Science and Technology and Lockheed Martin.
- Digital Marketing
- Customer Relationship Management
- Strategic Marketing
- IT Sales and Marketing
- Managing Strategic Networks
- Platform based business model
- B2B Marketing
- Building a social media command center for a global auto major
- Real Time Contextual Marketing Lab at IMT Ghaziabad
- Measuring Impact of Chatbot in web based service delivery
- Building online community to drive greater brand engagement for a global high end medical device manufacturer
- A number of Digital Marketing projects globally for not so well known as well as marquee brands
New technology marketing: AI, Social and Digital Marketing.
Society of Automotive Engineers
Tamil Nadu Golf Federation
Research Paper Published
- Study of impact of open source software on customer relationship bond in emerging markets at the annual conference titled ‘Challenges of Diversity, Dynamics and Connectedness’ by the Emerging Market Conference Board and Wits Business School, Johannesburg, South Africa; April 6-7, 2018
- Studying the impact of CRM on Customer Journey and exploring its mediational role in Customer Satisfactionat theconference titled ‘Managing Business and innovation in Emerging Market’ conducted by the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science and Georgia State University held at ISB Hyderabad on April 26-28, 2018.
- Unstructured data for superior customer experience (Analytics for effective marketing, IFHE, ICOMBS 2015 proceedings)
- SMACing the automotive industry: connectivity meets social, mobile, analytics and cloud (Published in Mobility Engineering, a quarterly publication of SAE International, Vol 1, Issue 4; September 2014)
- Next Gen tweeting workforce: capability building for transformation and innovation (International journal of contemporary Management Studies, Velammal Institute of Technology, Anna University; August, 2013)
- Digital Manufacturing and Cloud- evolution and the way forward (published in Manufacturing Technology Today, Vol 12, Issue 3, March 2013, ISSN: 0972-7396)
- Leveraging technology for big results from small advertising budget (Contemporary Issues and Challenges in Advertising, D G Vaishnav College, Chennai; October 2012)
- Leveraging cloud computing for small retailers (Published in International conference on retailing: the emerging landscape of Retail and impact on economy, University of Madras; September 6-7, 2012)
- Social networking and its impact on marketing strategies (Research Paradigm in Management, Annamalai University and Bonfrin; 2012.